What can you do with a can of delightfully sweet canned fruit cocktail? A lot! Read on for fun, festive fruit cocktail recipes and ideas that you can include in your holiday meal plan.
There’s no denying that 2020 has been a very eventful year. And it’s a high possibility that the incoming holiday season will look a bit different. But hey, it’s still the season of cheers and high spirits! Prime Mom, you have all you need to whip special out of the ordinary and merry out of Christmas! All it takes is a bit of planning with a dash of creativity. Working with fruit cocktail? There are alternatives to the usual ref cake or fruitcake! Check out these fruit cocktail recipes.
Fruit Cocktail Cookies
Trade the usual chocolate chips and oatmeal with a more chewy and fruity alternative! A good Christmas bonding idea with the kids, and a nice gift idea for loved ones, too.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 can (425g) Mega Prime Quality Tropical Fruit Cocktail, drained
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 ½ cups chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar in a medium bowl. One at a time, add eggs in and stir in vanilla. Sift mixture with the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Mix dry with the wet. Fold in raisins, fruit cocktail and nuts.
- Arrange spoonfuls of the dough on greased cookie sheets, making sure that it’s not cramped or crowded. Pop into the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Have a taste of what’s popularly dubbed as the food for the (Greek) gods! No worries on presentation with this one. Its fruity white color fits well into the usual cheerful Christmas theme!
- 225g frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 ½ cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ can (425g) Mega Prime Quality Tropical Fruit Cocktail, drained
- 1 can (225g) pineapple chunks, drained
- 300g oranges, drained
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 300g jar cherries, drained (optional)
Combine the whipped topping, coconut, chopped nuts, fruit cocktail, pineapple, oranges, marshmallows, nutmeg, cinnamon and cherries (if any). Mix well and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
Fruit Cocktail Pudding
Delight with a fruit cocktail recipe that adds the sweetness and refreshing twist of fruit bits in pudding! Here’s how to make fruit cocktail pudding in a snap.
- 1 can (425g) Mega Prime Quality Tropical Fruit Cocktail, undrained
- 1 pack (100g) instant vanilla pudding mix
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Combine fruit cocktail and dry pudding mix in a large bowl, then stir for 2 minutes.
- Let it stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Chill until serving. Fold in marshmallows just before serving. You may also choose to top with whipped cream and cherries or nuts if desired.
Easy Fruit Salad Ice Cream
Never done homemade ice cream before? An electric mixer can come in handy for this one! Here’s an easy fruit salad ice cream recipe you might want to try for the holidays!
- 1 can (425g) Mega Prime Quality Fruit Cocktail, drained
- 1 pack (125mL) all-purpose cream, chilled
- ½ small can (108g) condensed milk
- Puree fruit cocktail with condensed milk.
- Whip all-purpose cream until stiff peaks appear.
- Fold whipped cream into the fruit cocktail mixture. Transfer on a container and freeze overnight.
There are more ways than one to serve fruit cocktails! You have snacks that are perfect for keeping the kids up and energetic during homeschool and recipe suggestions that are great for when you want to start your own baking business from home.