A traditional pinoy Christmas is never complete without huge family gatherings, singing, gift-giving and impressive feasts! Make Noche Buena extra special, gathering friends and family over a hearty, healthy balance of meat and greens with these vegetable recipes.
Festive Veggie Recipes
Christmas season is all about celebrations, and good food is somewhere in the center of it. Aim for a more festive Noche Buena with flavorful, healthy sides such as these:
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
There’s always a place in the Christmas spread for this well-loved potato dish. Take your mashed potatoes to the next level with fresh chives and a generous dollop of sour cream. Total prep and cook time? Just 30 minutes!
Makes 8 servings
- 4 lb potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 5 oz white Cheddar, grated
- Boil potatoes in a large pot. Add 2 teaspoons salt before lowering the heat. Let it simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- With your potatoes back in the pot, add sour cream, milk, butter, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Smash potatoes to desired consistency, then fold in Cheddar.
Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts
Perfectly crispy, perfectly sweet — just perfect for the chirpy vibes of the season, really! Did you know? Brussels sprouts are low in calories but is packed with fiber and many nutrients including vitamin K and vitamin C. Read on and check how to prep a 30-minute veggie recipe for brown butter brussel sprouts!
Makes 8 servings
- 2 lb Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 red onions, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Coarse salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Prep oven by heating to 400°F. Meanwhile, toss Brussel sprouts, onions, oil, a pinch of salt and pepper into a rimmed baking sheet. Make sure sprouts are flat on their cut side. Roast for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- 5 minutes before Brussels sprouts are finished, melt butter in a skillet on medium heat until foaming. Throw in almonds and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until almonds and butter are golden brown. Combine raisins, lemon juice and a pinch of salt with the brown butter mixture.
- Transfer cooked onions and sprouts on a bowl or a serving plate. Spoon brown butter mixture and drizzle over sprouts and onions.
Finger food for the kids and the kids-at-heart! Serve a healthy bowl of protein and antioxidants with bite-sized mushrooms, fried tempura-style! A quick and easy vegetable recipe, all you need are a handful of ingredients and prep and cook time of just 8 minutes.
- 1 can (850g) Mega Prime Whole Mushrooms
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- Drain, rinse and dry mushrooms.
- Create the tempura batter by combining egg and water, and adding in flour and salt. Whisk until there are no lumps.
- Heat oil to 375°F. Dip a mushroom into the tempura batter and fry, flipping it over after a minute.
- Cook mushrooms in batches, to make sure that they won’t stick to each other.
- Drain on paper towel, before serving with ranch dressing, marinara sauce, spicy mayo or any dip of your choice.
Beef Stir-Fry with Broccoli
While not purely a vegetable dish, beef, broccoli in the sweet, salty and earthy taste of oyster sauce is a go-to bright green special for any occasion! Here’s a quick how-to of the stir-fry.
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- 200g beef, sliced in strips
- 200g pack broccoli
- 1 onion, sliced
- garlic clove, sliced
- 2 tbsp Mega Prime oyster sauce
- 125mL water
- Heat a wok (round-bottomed pan) until smoking, before pouring oil. After a few secs., stir-fry beef for 2 mins. and set aside. With a splash of water, cook broccoli in wok until it turns bright green. Throw in onion and fry for 1 min., then add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the oyster sauce with 125mL water. Bring to a boil and cook until a sticky consistency is reached. Add the cooked beef back and mix before serving.