Ber months spell brrrr weather in every corner. The chilly vibe and the cold breeze are enough to make one crave a delicious bowl of tummy warmer. Soups! Hot, filling, appetizing homemade soups that embrace you on days when you feel cold and yes…. hungry. What to do? Head over to the kitchen, and with basic ingredients, be ready to whip delicious, comforting, easy-to-prepare soups. Here, we give you easy soup recipes to warm up the cold season.
Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
Filling, rich, and creamy, this version of chicken corn chowder gives you the Southwestern flavor reminiscent of easy weekends and warm family get-togethers. Have it paired with slices of homemade bread and you have a souper delish day!
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- ½ to 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (1/2 part milk, ½ part heavy cream)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 can Mega Prime cream-style corn
- 1 can chopped green bell pepper
- ¼ to 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Optional: Minced fresh cilantro and fried tortilla strips
- Brown chicken and onion using butter. Do this until chicken loses its pink color. Add garlic and cook for one minute. Add water, bouillon and cumin. Boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream, cheese, corn, chiles and hot pepper sauce. Continue cooking until cheese completely melts. Add tomato. Option to finish it off with cilantro and tortilla strips on top.
Veggie Thai Curry Soup
Spicy, savory, and flavorful. Just enough to give you that zing on a cold, chilly weather. Veggie Thai Curry Soup is your own version of Thai’s filling broth, packed with all the goodness of veggies, pasta, and curry. Spice up the cold weather with this savory tummy warmer!
- 1 pack Mega Prime Vermicelli or thin rice noodles / angel hair pasta
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or fish sauce
- 2 cups firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 can Mega Prime whole baby corn, drained and cut in half
- 1 can bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 ½ cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- ½ medium sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- Torn fresh basil leaves and lime wedges
- Cook noodles according to directions. Make sure noodles are not overcooked.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add curry paste; stir for about 30 seconds. Slowly stir in coconut milk until blended. Add broth and soy sauce; bring to a boil.
- Add tofu and vegetables; cook for 3-5 mins until vegetables are crisp. Drain noodles; add to soup. Top soup with basil; serve with lime wedges.
Its classic appeal never ceases to warm anyone’s heart. Loved by kids and kids-at-heart, a hot bowl of potato soup is the perfect meal partner on cold, nippy weather. With bacon strips, carrots, and potatoes, it’s almost like a meal itself. Easy to prepare, and easily loved by everyone, here’s how to make a classic potato soup.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups unsweetened evaporated milk
- 1 cup cubed cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, optional
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp and golden brown. Add vegetables, seasonings, and broth. Boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Combine milk and flour, mix well until smooth, stir into the broth mix. Bring to a boil, stirring continuously for 2 minutes until the soup thickens. Add cheese, mix until fully melted. Option to top soup with green onions.
It doesn’t take much to create hearty soups your family will love. All it takes are a few basic ingredients, and a little TLC in the kitchen. Different soups for different days. With Mega Prime, possibilities are endless.