If there’s anything to know about Filipino celebrations is that we like our food in abundance and New Year’s Eve is no different. In fact, aside from the traditional media noche feast, families also have a separate menu for New Year’s Eve finger foods for the household to enjoy as they eagerly await the start of a new year.
Tips for planning your New Year’s Eve menu
Each household has its own way of ringing in the New Year but it is a night typically spent at home with family and sometimes immediate relatives. After dinner, we set up different activities to keep everyone occupied and entertained while waiting for the clock to strike twelve. Whether it’s watching year-end specials, having party games, or several rounds of karaoke, this type of celebration calls for delicious finger foods.
Serving yummy finger foods can be inexpensive, low-stress, and great to bond over. These foods can be made ahead of time and quickly prepped the day of (aka warmed in the oven or simply assembled), ensuring that you have plenty of time to enjoy the festivities, too.
To make your spread extra special, serve a diverse variety of finger foods that fall into these categories:
- Garden – Usually healthy appetizers made with fruit or vegetables that are either raw, cooked or stuffed.
- Protein – These include meat, chicken, fish, or even egg, cheese, or tofu.
- Snacks – Easy appetizers that are easy to prepare such as nuts, pretzels, chips, or You can have this store-bought and serve as is or make your own twist.
- Dips and Spreads – Pair other finger foods with party dips, spreads or relishes.
- Desserts – You can also serve mini versions of desserts like cookies, cheesecake, fruit cups, etc.
Of course, there’s no need to fill in each category. Feel free to mix and match according to your family’s taste!
Easy New Year’s Eve finger food recipes
To help with your menu planning, here are some easy finger food recipes you can make ahead of time and serve on the day of.
Creamy Mushroom Dip
Warning: this creamy, cheesy dip can be very addicting! Serve this with fresh pita bread, tortilla chips, or veggie sticks and you’ve got yourself a crowd-pleaser.
- 400g Mega Prime Quality Whole Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup (185g) all-purpose cream
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Pinched cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms over medium heat with ½ teaspoon salt until cooked. Leave to cool.
- Combine the mushrooms and the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve with pita bread, crackers, tortilla chips, or fresh vegetable sticks.
Tex-Mex Roll-Ups with Cheese and Corn
If you’re looking for Tex-Mex flavors but want to go beyond the usual tacos or quesadillas, be sure to give this recipe a try!
- 1 can Mega Prime Quality Whole Kernel Corn
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 350g ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups cheese
- 6 11-inch flour tortillas
- Cook ground beef in pan over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking beef into crumbles.
- Add corn and bell pepper then cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Drain excess liquid if necessary.
- Spoon beef mixture down center of tortillas, dividing evenly. Fold in ends and roll up tightly.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until roll-ups are lightly browned and crisp.
- Optional: serve with store-bought salsa.
Prime Mom Tip: check out these easy fruit cocktail recipes that can also be a sweet addition to your New Year’s Eve spread. Plus, get more #pinaSARAP moments with all Mega Prime products available on Mega Global, Shopee and Lazada!