A smooth and creamy puree of cooked chickpeas (or garbanzos), hummus is one of the sought-out sauces today. The Middle Eastern dish has grown in popularity not only because of its unique flavor, but also because of the many ways you can enjoy it. Read on and discover the tasty ways you can have hummus for your meals and snacks.
For the Love of Hummus
What is hummus and why is it so loved? Because it’s yummy, healthy and versatile! Thanks to its core ingredient which are chickpeas, the Middle Eastern sauce has a nutty and earthy flavor that pairs well with many dishes and snacks.
Chickpeas are also mainly the source of the sauce’s nutrient content. Did you know that one cup of hummus has 15g protein, 4-5g fat, 45g carbohydrates, and 6g fiber? It also has a good amount of folate, iron, manganese, zinc and copper. These nutrients help support bone health, blood pressure, heart health, and healthy digestion while helping prevent conditions such as diabetes, anemia and cancer.
When it comes to versatility, the list goes on. But here are a few Prime Mom faves.
Dip for Veggies
While healthy, eating vegetables can be boring. Dips definitely add a bit of excitement and further ups your meals nutrition. Prime Moms say that when pairing veggies with hummus, make sure to go with crunchy veggies such as carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers and cucumbers.
Dip for Chips
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to your usual chip dips, you can count on this sauce! Here’s a Prime Mom idea: switch your chips for pita bread. Better yet, pita chips!
A creamy, nutty sub for mayo or mustard in sandwiches? You got it! Here’s a sample recipe you can try.
15-Minute Veggie & Hummus Sandwich
Perfect for when you’re in between house chores or work tasks, this spiced up, light yet filling sandwich won’t take too much of your time!
- 2 slices bread (healthier options: whole grain bread or gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp Mega Prime Premium Hummus
- Veggies of choice, including: lettuce, tomato, onions, avocado slices, bell peppers, pickles, bean sprouts, black olives, banana peppers, jalapenos, anything else you can think of.
- salt and pepper (and other spices for seasoning your sandwich)
- Toast bread slices to your liking.
- Spread hummus on each slice.
- Top with veggies and season with salt, pepper or any spice.
- Combine slices and veggies into a sandwich. Lightly press, cut as desired and enjoy!
Additional Ingredient to Dishes
Hummus can also be easily added into well-loved dishes. For example, you can add it to mashed potatoes. In fact, you may choose to replace sour cream in the recipe, and have a decadent dish minus a chunk of the usual calories.
If you can use it as a dip for veggies, you can most definitely use it as a salad dressing. It has the consistency and flavor, so why not? Check out this easy recipe.
Hummus Salad Dressing
A medley of bright, creamy flavors for a mix of vibrant and healthy veggies. That’s what you get with this earthy dressing!
- ½ cup Mega Prime Premium Hummus
- 1 Tbsp. mustard (Dijon, if available)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2-4 Tbsp. water
- In a small bowl, combine hummus, mustard and lemon juice and mix with a spoon.
- Pour water in 1 tablespoon increments until mixture reaches desired consistency.
- Drizzle on salad.
Pasta or Pizza Sauce
No tomato sauce? No problem. Because you can use hummus for pizza and pasta! Try it for yourself! Spread hummus on pizza dough, top with pickled peppers, olives and cheese for an easy pizza with a Mediterranean twist.
Mega Prime products are available online via Megamart, Shopee, Lazada, and in Robinsons, Puregold and other leading supermarkets and groceries nationwide! Gather more #EverydayEasySarap recipes only from Prime Mom Club.
Best dishes! It’s a good guide