Weekends or weekdays, dining with the family has taken on a new level, especially these days when eating out is not yet encouraged. More than just dining, sharing meals with the family has become a bonding experience that’s meant to nourish relationships and nurture every moment spent indoors. Finding ways to make that happen isn’t easy. But it’s also not impossible, given the many delicious and easy options available to everyone. Moms who are usually in charge of meal planning and preparation are always on the lookout for more ways to bring out delicious and quality moments with the family. Whether it be for homeschooling kids or for a husband who works from home, the challenge always is what to serve and how to make it deliciously fun for everyone. Good thing about Filipino households, home cooking is always infused with some TLC! Especially if it’s something that the family has always loved. A favorite will always be a favorite –- whatever the moment. Pretty much like sotanghon. From the elders down to the young ones, sotanghon has the homestyle goodness that never fails to please the palate.
Sotanghon or vermicelli – those glassy rice noodles that moms love to cook and kids love to twirl and eat, are always a favorite. What makes sotanghon irresistible is its homey goodness that makes it perfect for any family bonding moment. Think weekdays and you want to play “school recess” with your kids after homeschooling. Think setting up your dining area, canteen-style. Kids falling in line with their food trays and husband queueing, too? Spells fun! Sotanghon won’t just be a filling afternoon “recess” merienda, but an exciting way to make homeschool days very yummy – and very vermicelli! Quick, easy and delicious, sotanghon guisado makes every family moment, #pinaSARAP.
How to cook sotanghon guisado family-style? Here’s how:
- ½ lb Mega Prime Choices Vermicelli (sotanghon noodles)
- 1 lb chicken
- 2-3 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup carrots cut into short, thin strips
- 1 cup chopped onion leeks
- 1 tsp whole peppercorn
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 ½ cups diced onion
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup atsuete water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Boil water in a cooking pot.
- Add chicken, peppercorns, celery and ¾ diced onions to the boiling water.
- Simmer for 40-60 minutes and let it cool.
- Remove chicken meat from the bones. Set aside bones and chicken skin.
- Using a strainer, filter the liquid inside the pot. This will be your chicken broth.
- Soak vermicelli noodles in water until they become soft.
- Pour cooking oil in a heated wok.
- When oil is hot, sauté garlic and the remaining onions.
- Add chicken meat, continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Pour atsuete water and chicken broth to the wok and let it boil.
- Add carrot and half of the chopped onion leeks. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add noodles and fish sauce, continue cooking and stirring for 2 minutes.
- Transfer vermicelli to a serving dish. Sprinkle with remaining onion leeks. Put calamansi slices on the side.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Make every moment pinasaya and #pinaSARAP with sotanghon guisado, family-style. Planning on a weekend garden picnic with the family? Go for it. Stock on Mega Prime Choices Vermicelli for more #pinaSARAP family bonding moments. Get one through Mega Global, Shopee or Lazada!