Sweet corn makes for sweet snacks that are enjoyed by everyone. So why not make an online business out of it? For our kitchen-savvy mommies who are looking to make extra profit, we’ve got a super-easy ginataang mais recipe, plus more fun corn snacks you can sell online!
Starting an online food business
With the help of social media and online selling platforms, it’s easy for anyone to become an entrepreneur, even from the comfort of your own home (or in this case, kitchen). People are constantly on the lookout for new food to try and order. If you play things right, a simple recipe or two can jumpstart a lucrative online food business.
Food businesses often start with a core theme or product, like for example, homemade maja blanca can be the core product of a kakanin-themed business. The theme and the main product of your business, of course, is entirely up to your creativity.
For inspiration, homemade corn snacks or merienda can be a great theme to work on. To help get you started, here are some corn-based recipes you can easily make and sell:
Ginataang Mais Recipe
A warm bowl of Ginataang Mais can easily bring back fond childhood memories of merienda and playtime. This mix of malagkit or sticky rice, corn and coconut milk may take some time to cook, but the ingredients are easy to gather and the flavor is definitely worth the wait.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup malagkit or glutinous rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Mega Prime Quality Whole Kernel Corn, plus more, for topping
- Condensed milk, for topping (optional)
Estimated budget: P25 for coconut milk mix + P94 for 1kg malagkit rice + P39 for corn + P40 for 300ml condensed milk = P198
- Place coconut milk and malagkit rice in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once coconut milk starts boiling, lower the heat and stir continuously to prevent the rice from sticking to the pan. Continue stirring until rice is cooked through, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add corn kernels and sugar, then cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Top with corn and condensed milk, if desired. Serve warm.
Restaurant-style corn muffins are surprisingly easy to make at home! Traditional recipes only use cornmeal but this one uses corn kernels for added texture and real corn flavor.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup Mega Prime Quality Whole Kernel Corn
Estimated budget: P66 for 100g butter + P119 for 125g honey + P79 for 800g flour + P120 for 1k cornmeal + P80 for 1L milk + P39 for corn = P503
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Grease or line 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, eggs, honey and salt. Mix in flour, cornmeal and baking powder, then blend thoroughly.
- Stir in milk and corn.
- Pour or spoon corn batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. To check for doneness, check by inserting a toothpick in the center of a muffin and check if it comes out clean.
Sweet Corn Fritters with Garlic Aioli Dip
Kids and the young-at-heart will definitely enjoy this recipe for sweet corn fritters. You can make them as small or as big as you want, plus they taste amazing with garlic aioli dip!
For sweet corn fritters
- 3 cups Mega Prime Quality Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sliced scallions, for serving
For sweet corn fritters
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
Estimated budget: P39 for corn + P79 for 800g flour + P39 for baking powder + P58 for cream + P52 for mayonnaise + P35 for 1pc lemon = P302
How to prepare sweet corn fritters
- In a large bowl, add your corn kernels, flour, sugar, baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Add eggs and heavy cream and stir until batter is well-combined.
- To the side, line a serving plate with paper towels.
- Take a large sauté pan and coat the bottom with vegetable oil. Place over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, scoop 2-3 tablespoon mounds of the corn batter into the pan. Spread lightly until it forms a flat, circular shape.
- Cook fritters for 2-3 minutes, then flip once and cook for another 3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked fritters onto the towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Garnish with scallions, if desired.
How to make garlic aioli dip
- Mix mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Looking for more recipes using your favorite Mega Prime products? Browse the recipes section for easy and super tasty ideas for the whole family to enjoy! Don’t forget to stock up an get more #pinaSARAP moments with all Mega Prime products available on the Mega Global Store and Shopee!