Big things do come in small packages. Pretty much like the huge number of health benefits found in small but nutrient-packed garbanzos. Garbanzos or chickpeas is a popular ingredient in most dishes because of its nutty flavor and creamy texture. Aside from its taste that pairs well with most recipes, garbanzos is packed with health benefits. Check out what garbanzos can do for you:
- Controls Your Appetite
The protein and fiber content of garbanzos slows down the digestion process which helps promote one’s feeling of fullness. Likewise, protein releases an appetite-reducing hormone that can help control a person’s caloric intake.
- Manages Blood Sugar
Having a low glycemic index, garbanzos helps keep one’s blood sugar in check. With its rich fiber and protein content, it slows down carb absorption which prevents a spike in blood sugar levels.
- Helps in Digestion
Garbanzos is rich in soluble fiber, responsible for increasing good bacteria in the digestive system. A good balance of healthy bacteria in the gut prevents digestion-related diseases such as colon cancer and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Provides a Good Source of Antioxidants
Beta-carotene, phytonutrients and polyphenols are just some of the essential antioxidants found in garbanzos. These antioxidants reduce the risks of chronic ailments like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Balances Hormones
Plant hormones called phytoestrogens are present in garbanzos. This mimics the female hormone called estrogen which helps address menopausal issues like hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings.
Garbanzos isn’t only nutritious, it’s also delicious especially when paired with your favorite dishes. Try these easy recipes and be ready for a gastronomic delight your family will surely love!
Quick-Cook Spinach with Garbanzos
- 1 (10 ounce) spinach
- 1 can Mega Prime garbanzos, drained
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, diced
- Heat oil on a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté garlic and onion.
- After 5 minutes, add spinach, garbanzos, cumin and salt.
- Stir the mixture, lightly mashing the beans. Allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Serve as a nutritious side dish or as a light meal.
Easy Chickpea Salad
- 1 can Mega Prime Garbanzos, drained and rinsed
- 3 lemons
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- In a bowl, mix olive oil, minced garlic and juice extracted from 3 lemons.
- Add Mega Prime Garbanzos, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and red onion. Mix well.
- Add salt and pepper according to taste.
- Garnish with parsley. Refrigerate for one hour before serving.