Refreshing and tasty! This staple snack has many variations, but nothing beats a classic. Fruit cocktails are a perfect example of something meryendang pinoy, a must-have snack that is light and refreshing.
What makes a good merienda ? Anything that is enjoyed with the family and is filling, but not too heavy as well. Here we have 4 meryendang pinoy recipes that will surely pair nicely with the hot weather in the Philippines. There are many options to choose from, whether you’ve got a sweet tooth or someone who loves savory food, hot or cold, we’ve included them all here. You’ll probably recognize some of the recipes since they are timeless classics. We’ve also included some variations if you choose to make it a little bit different to your usual take on the recipe.
Pinoy Style Fruit Salad
Refreshing and tasty! This staple snack has many variations, but nothing beats a classic. Fruit cocktails are a perfect example of something meryendang pinoy, a must-have snack that is light and refreshing. You’ll only need a few ingredients which are not hard to find and you’ll easily have a snack cooler for the tropical weather. This recipe only takes 5-10 minutes to prepare since you only need 3 key ingredients.
- 1 can Mega Prime Fruit Cocktail Regular in Heavy Syrup (822g)
- 1 pack All Purpose Cream
- 1/3 cup Condensada
- Drain fruit cocktail
- Add All Purpose Cream and Condensada
- Mix well
- Transfer to serving container and refrigerate overnight
- Serve chilled
Pancit Sotanghon Guisado
Who doesn’t love something savory for a snack? Nothing says meryendang pinoy like this dish. Pinoys love pancit to the point that we created pancit canton which is an instant packed noodles version. It is still best to opt to create your own pancit instead, so that you can ensure that there is nutrition given to your family. You can pair this with your favorite refreshing drinks on a hot summer day.
- 200g pork (kasim), chopped in small pieces
- 100g pork liver, chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 cup fish ball, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Baguio beans, sliced in slant
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- ½ cabbage, chopped
- 400g sotanghon noodles (Get from 2x Mega Prime Choices Vermicelli 250g)
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (optional)
- Soak the pancit sotanghon noodles in warm water for 10 minutes or until soft. Drain water and set aside.
- In a wok or skillet, heat the oil. Sauté the garlic and onion until soft and fragrant.
- Add the liver, and cook until brown. Add the pork meat and stir-fry until golden brown and followed by the sliced fish balls.
- Stir in the carrots and Baguio beans. Cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Season with soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Add the pancit sotanghon noodles. Simmer until the noodles are heated through, about one minute.
- Add chopped cabbage and season with sesame oil, salt and pepper, if desired.
- Turn off heat. Transfer into a serving dish. Happy cooking and enjoy!
Who doesn’t love pancakes? This dish is another example of meryendang pinoy since it dont only cater kids but also adults. I remember enjoying these when I was little and it would be very filling. You can easily add some toppings to make it even more special or want to kick it up a notch. This snack only takes 12 minutes to prepare:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups milk
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp yellow food coloring
- Mega Prime Peach Halves In Heavy Syrup (850g)
- Mix all ingredients except butter and margarine
- Heat margarine on a pan
- Place 1/3 cup of mixed ingredients on a pan then cover and leave for a minute.
- Turn it upside down and leave for half a minute
- Remove from heat
- Put margarine and sprinkle white sugar on top
Mais Con Yelo
Whoever invented this meryendang pinoy, Mais Con Yelo (Mais con Hielo for Spanish) is pure genius. Usually, you would find the use of corn in more savory preparations like Nilaga (Tender Beef Cooked in Broth and Vegetables, Green Salads, Seafood Boil, etc.) but to think of using corn in a dessert is really great.
- Mega Prime Whole Kernel Corn (425g)
- Shaved Ice
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Evaporated Milk
- White Sugar
- Keso (Optional)
- Saging na Saba (Optional)
- Corn Flakes (Optional)
- Layer the Corn and the Shaved Ice in a Glass
- Add Milk and Sugar, Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk (adjust according to taste) and stir with a spoon.
- Add other ingredients like Keso, Saging na Saba or CornFlakes.
- Serve immediately.
If you enjoyed the meryendang pinoy recipes here, you might like to check our other articles. We’ve got one called 5 minute quick and easy meryendang ideas as well. Don’t forget to share this article to your family and friends who might want to try making it themselves.
Mega Prime products are available online via Megamart, Shopee, Lazada, and in Robinsons, Puregold and other leading supermarkets and groceries nationwide! Gather more #EverydayEasySarap tips by Prime Moms for Prime Moms only from Prime Mom Club.