Whether you’re trying to save money, or just looking for new ways to eat healthy, we’ve got the three ways to spice up your next budget ulam without compromising on taste!
Honey-Lime Tilapia and Corn Foil Pack
Tilapia is a great fish to eat if you’re looking for something healthy, budget-friendly, and easy to prepare. It’s also one of the most sustainable fish in the world—it has a low impact on the environment, and it’s been shown to have higher levels of omega-3s and vitamins than other similar species. This budget ulam idea is a great way to incorporate a balanced meal packed with vitamins and minerals. It’s also very inexpensive and quick to cook.
- 4 (6-oz.) filets tilapia
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 4 limes, thinly sliced
- 2 Mega Prime Whole Kernel Corn (425g)
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the grill at a high temperature. Cut 4 sheets of foil about 12″ long.
- Top each piece of foil with a piece of tilapia. Brush tilapia with honey and top with lime, corn, and cilantro. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold each foil pack crosswise over to completely cover the food mixture. Roll top and bottom edges to seal.
- Grill until tilapia is cooked through and corn is tender, about 15 minutes.
Peas and Carrots Veggie Dish
Second, this easy and healthy green peas budget ulam recipe. Green peas are relatively cheap, but they’re also high in fiber and protein. What’s more? They’re easy to cook—just boil them for about five minutes! This classic side dish or main dish for your veggies is loved by many. Adding potato and using olive oil really improves the versatility and overall flavor of the dish.
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 shallot or small white onion, finely sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes (optional)
- 16 oz (450 grams) carrots, peeled and cut into slices or cubes*
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 16 oz Mega Prime Green Peas (155g)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Finely slice the shallot and cut the carrots and the potatoes into pieces that are all the same size.
- Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan (I use this non-stick 12″ pan ) and saute the shallot for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and the potato, cover with a lid, and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. During cooking, add water or broth gradually to prevent the veggies from sticking to the pan.
- Stir in the peas, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine and cook for a further 5 minutes until the peas are tender. Add a touch of extra water to keep the veggies moist if needed.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning according to your liking, and serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil if you like.
Creamed Corn Mushroom Pasta
Third, this mushroom and corn pasta budget ulam recipe. Mushroom pasta is a simple way to get all of the benefits of mushrooms without having to mess around with cooking techniques or recipes—just mix them up with some corn pasta noodles!
- 450 grams of fusilli pasta or your preferred pasta
- 1 pint of Mega Prime Whole Mushroom (425g), sliced in half
- 14 oz of Mega Prime Cream Corn (425g)
- 10 oz of organic mushroom soup
- 1 shallot chopped
- ½ cup of vegetable broth
- ¼ cup of reserved pasta water
- 1 tablespoon of organic olive oil
- In a large pot, begin boiling your pasta according to package instructions for Al-Dente texture. Reserve ¼ cup of hot pasta water and strain the rest of the pasta.
- Meanwhile in a deep wide saucepan set on medium heat, fry your shallots with the olive oil until translucent. Then add in your sliced mushrooms and fry until soft and brown.
- Add the vegetable stock and cook for 1 minute. Then add in your cream of corn, mushroom soup and the reserved pasta water. Mix well and cover with a lid.
- Raise the heat to high and allow the sauce to reach a boil. Once it reaches a boil, lower the heat to low and add in your strained pasta. Combine until all pasta is covered in sauce.
Let us know in the comments how these budget ulam recipes helped spice up your budget ulam! We would also love to know more about which ingredients you want new recipes for. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family, we hope you continue to support the Prime Mom Club.
Mega Prime products are available online via Megamart, Shopee, Lazada, and in Robinsons, Puregold and other leading supermarkets and groceries nationwide! Gather more #EverydayEasySarap tips by Prime Moms for Prime Moms only from Prime Mom Club.