Why add garbanzos into your weekend meal plan? They’re healthy, delicious, packed with plant-based protein, and versatile! You can work in garbanzos or chickpeas into soups, stews, salads, sandwiches or make simple, protein-rich snacks. Try it this weekend! Add a little extra with garbanzos and these easy, tasty recipes.
45-Minute Creamy Tomato Soup
Whet the appetite with a smooth, comforting serving of tomato soup with blended garbanzos. Tangy with tomatoes, creamy from the blended chickpeas!
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced into quarters
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup Mega Prime Quality Garbanzos, cooked
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 230°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in a piece of foil and place it on the baking sheet along with the whole tomatoes and the onion wedges. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tomatoes and onions are well browned.
- Peel the garlic and transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender. Reduce the oven heat to 400° F and line the baking sheet with a fresh sheet of parchment paper.
- To the blender, add the canned tomatoes, garbanzos, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, thyme leaves, a tablespoon olive oil, red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ground pepper. Blend until creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve the soup with the croutons and additional fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, and garbanzos, if desired.
20-Minute Pork Chops with Sweet & Sour Garbanzos
The kids will love succulent pork chops with a flavorful sweet and sour twist in just 20 minutes!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pc. red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 100mL chicken stock
- 2 cans (225g) Mega Prime Quality Garbanzos
- A handful of parsley, chopped
- 2 pcs. pork chops
- Heat olive oil and cook onion until soft. Add vinegar, sugar and a splash of stock. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Throw in garbanzos and stir for a few minutes before mashing with the back of a fork. Season and add parsley.
- Season pork chops while heating the pan. Use tongs for placing the chops into the pan (fat side down first). Fry for 5-7 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Rest for 3-4 minutes, then stir any juices into the chickpeas and serve.
Quick Roast Chicken
Chicken breasts, cherry tomatoes and chickpeas, flavored with tarragon — just pop these in the oven for a juicy, meaty chicken roast! Check out the ingredients and steps.
- 1 pc. red onion, cut into wedges
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 2 cans (225g) Mega Prime Quality Garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 4 pcs. chicken breasts, skinned
- 1 tbsp. oil
- A bunch of tarragon, chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Combine oil, onion, tomatoes, garbanzos and chicken breasts (seasoned) into a deep baking tray. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in tarragon.
- Remove chicken breasts. Slice thickly and serve on top of an assortment of blanched vegetables. Drizzle with lemon juice.
BONUS: 25-Minute Crunchy, Roasted Chickpeas
Garbanzos can also be served as a snack! Whether for appetizer or merienda, this roasted chickpeas recipe delivers a crunch and crisp that’s sure to satisfy.
- 1 ½ cups Mega Prime Quality Garbanzos, drained, rinsed and cooked
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Curry powder, paprika or other spices (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread garbanzos on a kitchen towel and pat them dry. Then transfer to the baking sheet. Toss and drizzle with olive oil and pinches of salt.
- Roast garbanzos for 20 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove from the oven. While garbanzos are still warm, toss with pinches of curry powder, paprika or other preferred spices.