In the Filipino culture, mealtimes are more than just getting nourishment. It’s a regular bonding experience where families get together and engage on a variety of topics that range from each member’s activities and interests to current events. It’s a time of conversation and connection, and what draws and adds more to these moments is the food that’s lovingly prepared and served for everyone’s enjoyment.
Cook up more hearty, bonding moments during mealtime with these classic, well-loved lutong bahay recipes!
Nilagang Baka is a simple beef soup that packs a rich variety of flavors thanks to onions, potatoes, cabbage and corn or thick banana cuts. While perfect for rainy days, Nilagang Baka is also a great rewarding dish after productively bonding with the family over house chores or fun games.
- 700g beef shank
- 6 cups water
- 1 big onion, quartered
- 10 pcs. peppercorn
- 1 big (or 2 small) potatoes, peeled and cut into 4-6 pieces
- 1 can (425g) Mega Prime Quality Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 10 pcs. green beans, ends cut
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 stalks spring onions, cut into inch-long pieces
- ½ small cabbage, quartered
- Put beef shank with water, onion and peppercorn in a pot over medium to high heat.
- Once it starts to boil, cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Leave for 30 minutes to an hour, or until beef becomes tender. Pull beef out of the broth and let it cool before cutting into chunks or preferred serving size.
- Add potatoes, beans and corn to the simmering broth. Season with salt and fish sauce, then allow to simmer for another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Throw in spring onions and cabbage, put the lid back on, letting the vegetable cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Serve while hot!
Tender pork stewed in tomato sauce with a healthy bunch of bell pepper, peas, carrots, raisins and garbanzos. Pork Menudo is a great idea for breakfast especially for days when the family is planning long hours doing arts and crafts or tending to the garden.
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. calamansi juice
- 2kg pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup water (more if needed)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup Mega Prime Quality Green Peas, drained
- 1 cup Mega Prime Quality Garbanzos, drained
- 1 cup raisins
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Marinate pork with soy sauce and lemon juice for half an hour.
- With oil over medium heat, sauté garlic and onion for 2 minutes. Throw in tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes or until the onion is soft. Pour fish sauce and add paprika.
- Add the marinated pork pieces and cook for 4 minutes or until pork turns evenly brown. Pour water in and bring mixture to a boil. Then let it simmer, with the lid on, for about 45 minutes. Check and stir ½ cup of water every 15 minutes.
- Throw in potatoes, red bell pepper and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the green peas, garbanzos and raisins, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Savory and saucy, be ready for plenty of seconds as well as an outpour of fun, positive stories when serving Caldereta for lunch or dinner!
- 900g beef short ribs
- 2 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ⅓ cup onion
- 1 pc. siling labuyo
- 2 ½ liver tbsp. spread
- 250g tomato sauce
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 pc. bay leaf/laurel leaf
- 1 cup potato cubes
- ⅓ cup green olives, pitted
- 1 pc. whole pickle
- ½ cup red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, sliced
- ¾ cup Mega Prime Quality Green Peas
- ¼ cup cheese
For the marinade
- 2 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ⅛ cup garlic
- ¼ tbsp. pepper
- ⅛ soy sauce
- Marinade beef overnight.
- Sauté garlic, onion and beef. Once beef turns light brown, add liver spread and water. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 2-3 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add tomato sauce, potato chunks, laurel leaf (or bay leaf), salt, pepper and siling labuyo. Boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Throw in green peas, bell peppers and cheese. Boil and simmer for another 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Access more reads into unlocking #pinaSARAP bonding moments at home with the prime moms of Prime Mom Club. Enjoy more #pinaSARAP moments with all Mega Prime products available on Mega Global, Shopee and Lazada!