Check out these budget ulam recipes you can easily make at home:
Chicken with Oyster Sauce
This recipe makes use of easily accessible pantry staples: chicken fillet and oyster sauce. With the sauteed chicken fillets paired with the rich umami of the oyster sauce, this quick and easy dish definitely does not scrimp on flavor!
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ginger, minced
- 1/2 kilo chicken (use fillets), cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup Mega Prime Choices Oyster Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mega Prime Quality Whole Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
Estimated budget: P120 for ½ kilo chicken fillet + P50 for oyster sauce + P40 for mushrooms = P210
- In a medium-sized pan, preheat oil and saute garlic. Add in the ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken fillet then cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the oyster sauce, mushrooms, and sugar. Allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of water, if needed.
- Adjust seasoning by adding salt and pepper.
Ginisang Pechay with Oyster Sauce
While pechay is common in many Filipino dishes, it’s often a by-the-way ingredient or a supporting ingredient in most. In this healthy and easy recipe, pechay takes the spotlight!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 kilo ground pork
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Mega Prime Choices Oyster Sauce
- 4 pieces pechay (about 4 cups), with ends trimmed and cut into thirds
- salt and pepper
Estimated budget: P92 for ½ kilo ground pork + P50 for oyster sauce + P30 for pechay = P172
- Heat oil in a wide pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook until aromatic.
- Add pork and cook until lightly browned. Be sure to break pork apart with your cooking spoon.
- Add tomatoes and cook. Mash with the back of your spoon, until softened.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Continue cooking until pork is cooked through.
- Add oyster sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Add pechay, starting with the tougher ends first. Cook, stirring regularly until tender yet crisp (around 2 to 4 minutes).
Tofu & Veggie Stir Fry
Inspired by Chinese Mapo Tofu but without the five-alarm spiciness to make it kid-friendly. Simmered with vegetables and seasoned with rich, flavorful Mega Prime Oyster Sauce– it’s a no-frills sure crowd-pleaser. Aside from bell peppers, you can also add other vegetables to this, like canned mushrooms or green beans.
- 6 tbsp Mega Prime Choices Oyster Sauce
- 1 pc 400 g firm tofu, cut into 1“ x 1”x ½ “ thick triangles
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pc onion, cut into rings
- 1½ cup of water
- 1 pc red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tsp (5 ml) water
Estimated budget: P80-140 for tofu + P50 for oyster sauce + P75 for ½ kilo bell pepper = P205
- In a wok or wide pan, heat oil and sauté garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add the water and oyster sauce.
- Add the tofu. Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Add the bell peppers and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add the dissolved cornstarch and continue cooking until your sauce thickens.