Especially with a pandemic looming around, the family’s health and safety is top priority. Read on for a short list of superfoods that you can work into your weekly meal plans for a boost to the fam’s natural defense against sickness.
Eat Your Veggies: Superfoods & The Body’s Immune System
‘Superfoods’ refer to specific food such as salmon, broccoli or blueberries that are rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, fiber and other compounds studied to be beneficial to an individual’s health. Regular consumption can be extra helpful when it comes to keeping the body’s natural defense against viruses, bacteria, and parasites up!
For a super boost to your family’s immunity, infuse these superfoods and easy recipes into the week’s menu!
Peas may be low in fat and calories, but they’ve been studied to be high in protein, fiber and micronutrients including antioxidants such as flavonoids, carotenoids, phenolic acids and polyphenols. Peas are also a great source of vitamin C, 96% of the RDA (recommended dietary allowance, which is a key nutrient in protecting the immune system.
Serve up a good portion of this superfood with this quick green pea patty recipe!
30-Minute Green Peas Kebab Patty
Makes 3 servings
- 1 cup Mega Prime Quality Green Peas
- ¼ cup onions, finely chopped
- 5pcs. green chillies
- 1 medium garlic pod
- ½ inch ginger
- 12pcs. cashews, powdered
- 2 tbsp. coriander or wansoy, chopped
- 2 tsp. rice flour
- 2 tsp. chickpea flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- ¼ cup corn flakes, crushed
- 3 tbsp. oil
- Wash green peas and drain all the water.
- Using a food processor, make a fine paste out of the green chillis, ginger and garlic. Mix paste with cashew powder.
- Process green peas into coarse paste and combine with cashew mixture. Add salt, chopped onions, coriander (wansoy), rice flour, chickpea flour (or all-purpose flour) and lime juice. Mix well.
- Divide the paste into equal parts, shaped into patties. Roll on crushed corn flakes.
- Ready pan with oil and fry.
While there’s still debate on whether it’s a superfood (and whether it’s a vegetable or not), there’s no denying the fact that corn is packed with nutrients. Among others, corn has a variety of B-vitamins, potassium and vitamin A which is instrumental in forming respiratory membranes that keep germs out of the body’s bloodstream.
Prep a delicious, nutritious snack of corn with this 15-minute recipe.
15-Minute Honey Butter Skillet Corn
Makes 4-6 side dish servings
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 can (425g) Mega Prime Quality Kernel Corn
- 50g cream cheese
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Prep a skillet pan over medium heat. Melt and combine butter and honey.
- Once melted, throw in corn and cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until combined and creamy.
No cholesterol, gluten-free and low in fat, sugars, sodium and calories. But more than that, mushrooms are great sources of protein, B-vitamins, fiber, immune-enhancing sugars called beta-glucans, and other bioactive compounds.
Work your magic in the kitchen for a sample of mushroom’s immune-boosting benefits with this easy chicken and mushroom recipe.
25-Minute Garlic Mushroom Chicken Thighs
Makes 6 servings
For the chicken:
- 700g boneless chicken thighs, cut into 6-8 fillets
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. rosemary
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ can (425g) Mega Prime Quality Pieces and Stems Mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
- ½ – 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ – 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- Using paper towels, dry chicken thighs dry. Coat with combined onion powder, garlic powder, herbs, salt and pepper.
- In a large pan, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Sear chicken thighs in batches for about 8 minutes each side or until brown on each side. Use remaining oil for succeeding batches, if needed. Set aside.
- For the sauce, use the same pan for melting butter. Cook mushrooms for about 3 minutes, seasoned with salt and pepper. Then saute with garlic, parsley, thyme and rosemary for 1 minute.
- Transfer chicken back to the pan. Season further, if needed. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Like other legumes, chickpeas are rich in fiber and protein. They’re also rich in zinc and copper which are essential for the growth and functioning of immune cells and supporting the immune system. A cup of cooked chickpeas carries 30% of the RDA for copper, and about 17% of the RDA for zinc.
Here’s a delish fiber-rich, meatless dish with chickpeas.
Quick Chickpea Curry
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced into small bits
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches)
- 4 cans (225g) Mega Prime Quality Garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Cilantro, chopped
- Using a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion for about 6 minutes or until edges dark brown. Add garlic, curry, and cinnamon. Cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Pour in chickpeas, ketchup, salt and pepper with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil then simmer with a lid on for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook for another 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced.
- Serve topped with cilantro.
Vitamin C, vitamin A and its natural antimicrobial properties are three ways that peaches support the body’s immune system. Here’s a tasty, homemade version of a pinoy-fave snack!
35-Minute Peach Mango Pie
Makes 8 servings
- 1 can (or 4 pcs.) Mega Prime Quality Peach Halves, chopped
- ¼ cup peach syrup, drained from the can
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 mango, chopped
- 8 squares of store-bought puff pastry
- Combine and simmer peach halves and peach syrup in a saucepan for 3 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into the mixture. Simmer for about 3 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat.
- Add mango flesh. Let mixture cool.
- Prep store-bought puff pastry squares. Roll until ⅛ inch thick, and slice into 4×2 ½ inch pieces. Top a pastry with fruit mixture. Make sure to leave a ½-inch border around the edges. Top with another puff pastry piece and press edges using the ends of a fork to seal. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Deep-fry for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
Read more about cooking healthy for the family, along with recipes and practical kitchen tips by Prime Moms for Prime Moms! More #pinaSARAP moments to come with Mega Prime products available on Shopee and Lazada!